Monday, June 18, 2012

What if we grew food instead of turf?


I found this image on Facebook and shared it on both the Lawn Reform Coalition and Sustainable Gardening pages. While lots of people "liked" it, even more shared it on their own pages. I found even more shares on other pages--it's gone viral. So this simple idea seems to have captured people's attention.


In the last chapter of our new book "Organic Methods for Growing Vegetables in Florida," Melissa Contreras and I have included many ideas for how to turn your organic vegetable gardening into a profitable enterprise. We talk about how to participate in local farmers markets, how to start a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) alone or with a small group of other growers, and how to set up a migrant farmer service where you grow vegetables in other people's yards. We also discuss the pros and cons of becoming certified organic.

You can grow a lot of produce in a small area when you use intensive growing arragements with a minimum of space used for access, so why waste any time and money on a lawn? The book will be published in Feb. 2013. I can hardly wait; I think it will fly off the shelves.  The time is now!

What do you think? Is growing edibles instead of lawns the answer to climate change, the health crisis, and the poor ecomony?

Green Gardening Matters,
Ginny Stibolt

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful Ginny and I look forward to the book...gave away organically grown tomato seedlings to about 15 people...they are so excited to see the plants grow...hope I hooked a few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donna. And simple gestures, such as giving away those seedlings, is great way to spread the word. I'm sure you'll pull some folks into the fold of food growers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea. Instead of boring grass lawns, the possibilities are endless of what we could grow instead. Besides food, we could also grow little wildflower meadows, an acre of forest, or even water gardens. If we each grow our own food in our yards, however, farmers may be in the slumps. Perhaps they could sell garden plants instead of produce?
    In my neighborhood, this idea could really help. My neighbors kill trees like mosquitoes, ignorant to the benefits of green life. I wish everyone would protect innocent life and help beauty to grow.

    ReplyDelete